Monday, November 5, 2012

Portraiture trials

I have been working on an almost life size bust of John Muir, the Yosemite environmentalist.  I am nowhere close, but I think that I have made some good progress. No stopping until he looks similar enough.
The other issue...This is basically just another bearded guy, and I can not count on the audience knowing who John Muir is.  So while considering that, I am in the middle of deciding what other elements to include in this bust. I feel like it needs to be ironic by incorporating an element of modernity, but want to make sure that I an communicating a feeling of respect and reverence towards John. I have some work to do.
John Muir


one week in with the small maquette peeking over Johns shoulder


More fussing...taller torso

This is the most pleasing angle for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment